Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Stay with me, Lord ~ St. Padre Pio


Stay with me, Lord, for You are my light, and without You I am in darkness.

Saint Padre Pio of Pietrelcina


When I was a small child, I was afraid of the dark. A night light stayed on all night, but my mother stayed with me every night, until I fell asleep. If I waked up, and she wasn’t there, I’d call for her. It’s funny how things change. Now I cannot stand any light when trying to sleep at night.


My previous posts on Padre Pio’s prayer touched on the first three lines. Each begins with, Stay with me, Lord... This fourth line seems so simple, but like so many times we find the profound in the simple.

How odd it seems to ask Our Lord to stay with us. It is us that walk away. For me, these four words mean don’t let me stray from You, and I want to add EVER!!! Because when I turn away from Him for even just a second, I’m headed in the wrong direction. And no matter how bright the day, I’m blind. I am blind even in good actions. My motive has to be questioned.

How many times during the day do I turn from Him? I don’t want know the answer. I just want to know that like the single flame of a candle in the night, He will be there when I’m in darkness, and He will answer when I call.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorite prayers and one I pray at least parts of often. I know our Lord is always there whenever I call~ I just need to remember to call.
Thanks for this beautiful reminder.
God Bless!

Heartfelt Heartlook said...

Hugs Karinann! :)